Friday, September 01, 2006

August's Reading List

As expected, a good portion of my reading this month was taken up by Dickens' A Bleak House. It was long and difficult to read in parts, but I'm glad I read it. I do love the lengthy descriptions he used and while there were almost too many characters to keep track of - it was still a worthwhile read.

My favorite book this month was Letters of a Woman Homesteader by Elinore Pruitt Stewart. It was a fascinating book about a woman homesteader (duh, obviously!) in the early 1900's. I liked it so much that I sent a copy to my mom because I know she would love it too! I also requested another of her books from the library and actually got the call today that it was available.

Here's the complete list:

**** Bleak House by Charles Dickens

*** Rocky Road to Romance by Janet Evanovich. Her Stephanie Plum novels make me laugh out loud. Her romance novels aren't quite as funny, but still an entertaining read . . . and I really don't read many romance novels as it is.

***** Letters of a Woman Homesteader by Elinore Pruitt Stewart

**** Magdalene by Angela Hunt. Interesting look at who she might have been in the Bible. Well-written.

** Islands by Anne Siddons. This book was okay. I'm a little torn about it -- while at times it felt that there was a lot of character development, it also lacked quite a bit as well. I didn't like the ending at all; and I don't believe the characters would have played out as she wrote.

*** Lilah by Marek Halter. Another fictionalized biblical story. I didn't enjoy it as much as Magdalene, but maybe that's because I'm not familiar with Lilah's story at all from the Old Testament.

All Books Read in 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design